Best Buddies Member Agreement
To join Best Buddies, all applicants must agree to the terms set forth in the Member Code of Conduct, Acknowledgement, and General Release as laid out below.
Member Code of Conduct
As a Best Buddies member:
- I will be respectful, truthful, and inclusive in my interactions with others.
- I will recognize and celebrate the diversity of character and abilities of all people.
- I will conduct myself ethically, obey all laws, and act in good faith at all times.
- I will abide by the rules, directives, and guidelines set forth by Best Buddies International.
- I will respect the decisions and requests made by Best Buddies staff members and chapter leadership.
- I will NOT harass, threaten, embarrass, or insult others.
- I will NOT say or do anything that is harmful, abusive, racially or ethnically offensive, vulgar, sexually explicit, or objectionable.
- I will NOT make inappropriate or unwanted physical, verbal, or sexual advances.
Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability Relating to Coronavirus/COVID-19
On July 27, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) released updated guidance on the need for urgently increasing COVID-19 vaccination coverage and a recommendation for everyone in areas of substantial or high transmission to wear a mask in public indoor places, even if they are fully vaccinated.
Should you choose to participate in in-person activities, Best Buddies cannot guarantee that you will not become infected with COVID-19. Further, contact between individuals could increase the risk of contracting COVID-19.
I acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 by participating in in-person activities and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, and death. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to, Best Buddies employees, volunteers, and members and their families. I voluntarily agree to assume all of the foregoing risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury to myself (including, but not limited to, personal injury, disability, and death), illness, damage, loss, claim, liability, or expense, of any kind, that I may experience or incur in connection with my participation in Best Buddies program events. The decision to re-engage in in-person meetings is my decision, not the decision of Best Buddies.
As a Best Buddies member:
- I agree to follow the Member Code of Conduct when participating in Best Buddies and at all Best Buddies activities and events.
- I understand that if I am matched in a one-to-one friendship, I will do my best to honor my commitment to my Buddy.
- I understand that a Best Buddies member acts as a friend and a peer and NOT as a caregiver or dependent.
- I give permission to be photographed and/or filmed at any Best Buddies activity, and I understand that any photograph or videotape may be used at the discretion of Best Buddies for publicity purposes (members may opt out).
- Prior to the commencement of my participation, I will furnish Best Buddies with any medical information that may be necessary in treating me in the case of an emergency.
- I consent to Best Buddies’ use and disclosure of such medical information to medical professionals that may need the information in order to treat me in the case of an emergency.
- I understand that I must have a valid auto insurance policy if operating a motor vehicle in relation to a Best Buddies activity.
- I understand that Best Buddies is in no way obligated to assign, or match, or actively seek to assign or match me in a one-to-one friendship, and that Best Buddies makes no guarantees, assurances, or other commitments, either express or implied, as to the impact or results of a match upon any of the parties involved.
- I acknowledge that I have completed this application to the best of my knowledge and that all information I have provided is true, and I understand that any false or misleading information given by me in connection with my application for, or my membership with, Best Buddies International may result in termination of my membership.
- I understand that Best Buddies International reserves the right to deny entrance into our programs to anyone, for any reason, at any time. Best Buddies also reserves the right to revoke membership from our programs for any reason, at any time.
- I understand that, in cases where appropriate and necessary, Best Buddies International may require a background check prior to participation in our programs.
- I understand that I am also responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of all privileged information that I receive through participation in Best Buddies.
In consideration of the benefits and opportunities afforded to me through participation in the Best Buddies organization, the participant states as follows:
- I hereby agree to release Best Buddies International, Inc., from any liability for any accident, injury, or illness suffered at, during, or in connection with any Best Buddies activities, except for any accident, injury, or illness which results from gross misconduct by Best Buddies International, Inc., or its staff.
- I authorize Best Buddies International, Inc., to obtain medical treatment in the event of injury or illness in connection with a Best Buddies activity and agree to pay any expense incurred for treatment.
- I understand that, in connection with any Best Buddies activity, if I am riding in a private passenger automobile which is involved in an accident, I may be primarily covered for bodily injury under my family automobile policy, and I agree to submit any medical bills incurred to my insurance company for payment. If my policy has been issued with a deductible clause relative to the personal injury protection, I understand that I have assumed that deductible on primary coverage.
- If I am being transported in a commercial carrier or other leased or rented vehicles in connection with a Best Buddies activity and an injury occurs, I understand that I shall look to the commercial carrier or owner of the leased or rented vehicle to pay any medical bills incurred as a result of such injury.
NOTE: The participant agrees to assume all risk of accident, injury, or illness that may occur at, during, or in connection with any Best Buddies activity.
Last updated: 8/26/2021