Tips for dealing with COVID-19
Best Buddies Jobs in Massachusetts brings you tips for dealing with COVID-19 and being home-bound. Always remember, if you have questions about anything you see here, you can reach out directly to your job coach! We’re here to help! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is COVID-19?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is an illness caused by a virus that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a new strain. Symptoms of COVID-19 include a fever, a cough, and/or difficulty breathing. If you experience any of these things, please call your doctor (and let us know!) Learn more
The best way to prevent COVID-19 infection is to avoid exposure to this virus and use healthy habits. Here are the latest tips from the CDC for how to protect yourself and others from COVID-19:
- Clean your hands often
- Avoid close contact with other people and stay home as much as possible
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others
- Cover your coughs and sneezes
- Regularly clean the surfaces you touch frequently (tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks)
Wash your hands and sing the Best Buddies Cheer!
Washing your hands frequently (and for a full 20 seconds) is also very important right now. Here’s our suggestion:
The Center for Disease Control now recommends that you wear a cloth face covering if you go out in public (to the grocery store, to the pharmacy, on public transportation, etc.). According to CDC, a proper homemade face mask should do the following:
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops
- Include multiple layers of fabric
- Allow for breathing without restriction
- Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
Make Your Own Face Covering
Here is a video that shows you how to make a cloth face covering from items you may already have at home. Even if you are wearing a cloth face covering, it is still very important that you stay 6 feet away from other people in public.
What is Social Distancing?
You have probably heard everyone talking about social distancing. “Social distancing” means not interacting with anyone outside your household, and limiting trips to places where you might interact with other people. The CDC strongly recommends that you only leave your home for essential travel.
More tips to stay safe
If you have questions like “What is COVID-19?” or “How can I stay healthy?” or “Where can I go these days?” or any other question related to coronavirus, find your answers here. Put out by the Self-Advocacy Resource and Technical Assistance Center (SARTAC), this is a resource created by and for people with disabilities.
Check out this video from the World Health Organization for more helpful tips on staying healthy.
Get Text Updates
For our participants in Worcester and Central MA, click here to sign up for text message updates.
If you’d like daily text message updates related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Boston, you can send a text message containing a KEYWORD below to 99-411. Please only use plain characters (no accents, etc.).
- For texts in English, send BOSCOVID to 99-411
- For texts in Spanish, send BOSEspanol to 99-411
- For texts in French, send BOSFrancais to 99-411
- For texts in Haitian Creole, send BOSKreyol to 99-411
- For texts in Cape Verdean Creole, send BOSkriolu to 99-411
- For texts in Portuguese, send BOSPortugues to 99-411
Stay in touch with your friends at Best Buddies by joining the Lunch Bunch! We hang out on Zoom Mondays through Fridays between 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM. To join us, RSVP to get the Zoom link and password.Register Now